1 baked potato will make a lot of fries! Here is the before photo:
This whole plate is less than 1/2 baked potato that has been run through the spiralizer! Beware, once they are cooked they really shrivel down..and you will eat them fast!
Here is the handy spiralizer I use:
Here they are laid out on a baking pan. This is about 1/4 of a large sweet potato. Spread them out as much as you can so they baked evenly and can get crispy. It will help to cut some of the spiralized sweet potato so you can have smaller pieces that will spread better. You must watch the sweet potatoes- there is a fine line between baking crispy fries verse burnt fries! I baked mine for 10-15 minutes on a higher heat, followed by an additional 5-10 minutes on a lower heat. If they still are not as crunchy as I like, I turn off the oven and let them sit another 5 minutes or so. Some fries may may cook quicker than others.
Enjoy as a side dish, topped on a healthy burger, or use in place of croutons on a salad! Yum!
- 1 sweet potato- peeled and spiralized
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel the sweet potato, cut off a small portion on each end. You want a flat area on each end so you can spiralize it.
- Spiralize the sweet potato using a spiralizer. I use the smallest setting to make small shoestring-like spirals.
- Cut up some of the spiralized sweet potatoes to make smaller spirals.
- Place spirals in a bowl, toss with olive oil. Add just enough olive oil to lightly coat the spirals.
- Arrange the spirals on a parchament paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (optional).
- Cook for 10-15 minutes on 400. Watching for browning on ends.Turn down the oven to 350 degrees and cook another 5-10 minutes.
- If pieces start to turn brown or get crispy remove them from the cookie sheet.
- After 5-10 minutes, check on the fries. If they are not crispy as you'd like, turn off the oven and allow the sweet potatoes to sit 5-10 minutes, they will ocntinue to cook and get crispy.
- Garnish with herbs such as dried parsley for a savory flavor- or opt for a "sweeter" flavor by garnishing with cinnamon.
- Serve as a side dish, in place of croutons on a salad, or on a healthy homemade burger.