Growing up, my mom always made homemade blueberry jam and she always added a little orange rind to it to give it extra flavor. I decided to make my own version and it reminded me just of my mom’s!
My version is quick and has the added benefit of chia seeds.
- 1 pint of blueberries (or 2 cups)
- 2 tbs of sweetener (I use granulated maple sugar)
- 1 tbs of chia seeds
- 1/8 tsp fresh orange rind
- Heat the blueberries in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Stir and begin to mash the blueberries with a potato masher (or fork).
- Turn down the heat to a very low simmer and allow the blueberries to cook until juicy and bubbly.
- Add the orange zest. Stir.
- Total cooking time should be 15-20 minutes
- Turn off heat, add in the chia seeds. For a thicker jam add an additional 1/2 tbs of chia seeds.
- Spoon the blueberry mixture into a bowl or container and allow to to chill. Jam will get thicker as it sits.
- Keep covered up to 1-2 weeks.
- -Enjoy on toast, English muffins, hot cereal, pancakes, or topped on smoothies.
- -Tastes delicious served warm on ice cream.